First Release

Year: LIX.
Zagreb, 12 August 2022
TUR-2022-2-2/2

ISSN 1334-0557

FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE IN THE REPUBLIC OF CROATIA
January – June 2022

 

58 foreign vessels on cruise arrived in the first six months of 2022

In the period from January to June 2022, there were 58 foreign vessels on cruise that arrived in Croatian seaports, which realised 240 journeys. There were 189 thousand passengers on board who stayed for 466 days in Croatia.

The number of foreign vessels on cruise increased by 225 journeys and the total number of sojourns by 423 days in the first six months of 2022, as compared to the same period of 2021. The number of passengers on vessels on cruise in the first six months of 2022 increased by 180 thousand passengers compared to the first six months of 2021, when, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, stricter epidemiological measures were introduced that limited journeys of foreign vessels on cruise. In the first six months of 2021, the first entry of foreign vessels on cruise was recorded only in June, when 15 journeys of foreign vessels on cruise carrying 8 thousand passengers were realised.

Compared to the first six months of 2019, the number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise decreased by 11.8%, the number of sojourns by 15.9% and the number of passengers on board by 53.9%.

In the first six months of 2022, foreign vessels on cruise sailed under the flags of 13 countries. The largest number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise was realised under the flag of the Bahamas, as much as 66 journeys, which accounted for 27.5% of the total journeys realised in the first six months of 2022. Those were followed by journeys realised under the flag of Malta (45 journeys), Panama (26 journeys) and Italy (25 journeys).

Out of a total of 240 journeys of foreign vessels on cruise, most of them were realised in the County of Dubrovnik-Neretva (45.8%) and the County of Split-Dalmatia (30.8%), which made up a total of 76.6%. The remaining 23.4% of journeys were realised in the following counties: Zadar (13.8%), Primorje-Gorski kotar and Istria (3.3% each) and Šibenik-Knin (3.0%).

Dubrovnik was the most visited port

The majority of visits of foreign vessels on cruise was realised in the seaport of Dubrovnik (152 visits), followed by the seaports of Split (107 visits), Zadar (55 visits), Hvar and Korčula (31 visits each), Šibenik (25 visits) and Rovinj (21 visits).

1 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE

  I − VI 2021 I − VI 2022
Foreign vessels on cruise 6 58
Cruises 15 240
Sojourns 43 466
Passengers on board 8 203 188 699

2 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY FLAG OF VESSEL, JANUARY – JUNE 2022

Flag of vessel Cruises Sojourns Passengers on board
VI I – VI VI I – VI VI I – VI
Total 105 240 188 466 91 867 188 699
Bahamas 32 66 62 138 23 320 44 113
Belgium - 8 - 35 - 1 007
Bermuda 2 7 6 13 4 224 14 292
France 8 10 18 24 1 301 1 634
Greece 1 1 3 3 25 25
Italy 11 25 12 26 13 449 30 713
Malta 23 45 41 115 27 550 41 771
Marshall Islands 2 16 2 20 726 7 370
Netherlands 3 5 4 6 3 198 5 021
Norway 6 21 11 37 5 056 14 991
Wallis and Futuna 8 8 20 20 1 177 1 177
Panama 9 26 9 26 11 841 25 225
United Kingdom - 2 - 3 - 1 360

3 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY MONTHS, 2019, 2020, 2021 AND 2022

     Cruises Sojourns Passengers on board
2019 2020 2021 2022 2019 2020 2021 2022 2019 2020 2021 2022
Total 272 15 15 240 554 47 43 466 409 238 3 737 8 203 188 699
I 5 5 - 1 12 12 - 1 2 702 2 809 - 485
II 11 7 - 2 49 29 - 3 1 243 745 - 1 257
III 18 3 - 11 71 6 - 25 19 518 183 - 4 098
IV 49 - - 48 97 - - 98 82 924 - - 34 603
V 88 - - 73 157 - - 151 141 183 - - 56 389
VI 101 - 15 105 168 - 43 188 161 668 - 8 203 91 867

NOTES ON METHODOLOGY

The purpose of the statistical survey

The statistical survey is aimed at monitoring the entries of foreign vessels on cruise in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia, the number of passengers aboard and the days in which a ship stays in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. The results of this survey provide indicators used in the analysis of tourism in the Republic of Croatia.

Legal basis

The survey is carried out on the basis of the Official Statistics Act (NN, No. 25/20).

Sources and methods of data collection

The data source for the statistical survey on cruises of foreign vessels in the Republic of Croatia is the Croatian Integrated Maritime Information System (CIMIS). The Croatian Bureau of Statistics takes over a part of the database from the Ministry of Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, after which it performs further processing.

Among other data, ships submit information on the ship, journey and passengers to this system through authorised maritime agents and shippers. The accuracy and completeness of the data in the official proceedings of registration is verified by the harbour master’s offices.

Coverage and comparability

Observation unit for this survey is a foreign vessel on a tourist cruise that enters the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.

In the tables 1, 2 and 3, the data on foreign vessels on cruise include only seaports of the first entry of the foreign vessel on cruise into the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.

In the Graph G-2, the data on visits of foreign vessels on cruise include all seaports visited by those vessels during their stay in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. Visits in seaports are presented by statistical seaports consisting of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.

Definitions

Foreign vessel on cruise means a passenger ship intended rather to provide passengers with a pleasure of a journey and facilities for entertainment aboard (luxurious atmosphere, adventures, education, culture, entertainment, sports activities, wellness or recreation) than the transport of persons from one seaport to another. It is equipped for a multi-day stay of passengers aboard and must provide food, drinks and accommodation services. On its journey, a foreign vessel on cruise stops in seaports of several interesting destinations.

A journey is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into the first seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.

Visit is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into every seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.

Passengers on board are any persons who arrived by ship irrespective of age, providing that he/she is not a crew member.

Sojourns represent a total number of days a ship spends in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.

Flag of vessel represents the country in which a ship is registered, that is, entered into the ship registry and is bound by its laws.

Statistical seaport consists of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.

 

Abbreviations  
COVID-19 COrona VIrus Disease-19
NN Narodne novine, official gazette of the Republic of Croatia

 

Symbols  
- no occurrence

 

Published by the Croatian Bureau of Statistics, Zagreb, Ilica 3, P. O. B. 80
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 111
Press corner: press@dzs.hr

Persons responsible:
Edita Omerzo, Director of Spatial Statistics Directorate
Lidija Brković, Director General

Prepared by:
Ivana Brozović and Gordana Šiklić

USERS ARE KINDLY REQUESTED TO STATE THE SOURCE.

Customer Relations and Data Protection Department

Information and user requests
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 138, 48 06 154
E-mail: stat.info@dzs.hr

Subscription
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 115
E-mail: prodaja@dzs.hr

Accesibility settings